Overwatch: winner of “The Game Award for Best Esport Game”Published January 21, 2021
Overwatch, a multiplayer first-person shooter game, is undoubtedly a masterpiece growing in Esports. Released on October 27, 2015, developed and published by well-known developers, Blizzard Entertainment in collaboration with Iron Galaxy.
Because of its amazing design and gameplay, Overwatch has won the awards of “The Game Award for Game of the Year”, “British Academy Games Award for Multiplayer”, “The Game Award for Best Esports Game”, and many other notable honors.
The concept of the game is based on a team-based contest. The game assigns players into two teams of six players each then they will fight with each other using different characters with unique abilities commonly know as “Heroes” in the game.
In short, Overwatch is a very well-designed hero shooter video game.
Initially, it was launched with only first-person but now Overwatch can be played with first-person as well as third-person perspective.
The game is available to play on PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Microsoft Windows.
Modes in Overwatch
There are a total of 7 modes to play in Overwatch, these modes are classified in classic mode ( regular mode) and arcade mode.
Classic modes are:
- Assault is one team tries to capture two points in the map while the other team tries to stop them until the time runs out. The timer will increase as long as the team is capturing the point. The respawn positions of the players are continuously changing.
- Control is played in a best-of-three format. Both teams try to capture a fixed point to reach the progress score of 100%. The first team reaching the 100% mark, wins the round.
- Escort mode is also known as payload mode in which one team tries to move the payload to a specific delivery point while the other team tries to stop them before the time runs out.
- Hybrid mode is a combination of both Assault mode and Escort mode. In the beginning, the match starts with the assault capturing points, and then the escort objective is assigned.
Arcade modes are:
- Capture the Flag where both teams try to capture the opponent’s flag. To win the round, a player has to stick on the enemy flag area for at least 2.5 seconds without being interrupted. Doing so and the flag bearer’s team will win the match.
- Deathmatch and Elimination is quite a simple and intense mode where eight players compete with each other over the same objective of eliminating each other. The match in this mode is comprised of 10 minutes. The player who reaches 20 points first will win the match. The top four players of each match will be rewarded with win credit.
Heroes and Abilities
There were 21 heroes in Overwatch at the time of its release but now there are 32 playable characters (Heroes) with some of the supporting characters in Overwatch. Each character has its unique ability and backstory. You can choose among any of these heroes depending on your play style. In regular modes, each team can only have 1 of each hero however the arcade modes allow the teams to have more than one of a type. Every hero has at least 1 weapon while some can even have 2. Heroes can also speak to each other based on their backstory during the matches.
These heroes are categorized into three different roles:
The tank heroes come up with the ability to protect teammates, attacking enemies, and fight on the front line. They have a powerful ability to survive and protect the allies with shields and crown control.
Some of the top tank heroes are:
- Wrecking Ball
The damage heroes are the heroes with incredible play styles to engage and defeat the enemies with a variety of weapons and power. Securing kills is mainly the duty of a damage hero.
Some of the top damage heroes are:
The support heroes provide support for the team by increasing their survival, speed, and damage output that helps in boosting the overall performance of the team. They are not good enough in combat but can be powerful close to their teammates.
Some of the top support heroes are:
The different roles and a large roster of heroes allow the players to explore which play style and heroes match with their playstyle to perform the best in the game.
An incredible Esports game
As we have witnessed that Overwatch has won the title of the best Esports game.
Every year, the officials are organizing a professional esports league for the video game called Overwatch League (OWL). Other than that, several other professional tournaments take place annually. These tournaments provide an opportunity for everyone. The teams and professional players from all over the world can compete with each other to win the title of the best Overwatch team in the world along with the huge prize pools.
Overwatch is considered one of the most popular Esports game.
Is Overwatch Worth it?
After reading the complete review and watching the videos, you will get a clear idea of the concept and gameplay of the game.
The game provides action and strategic experience at the same time. Overwatch can be proven very interesting for hardcore lovers. The distinctiveness of the game makes it a worthy shooter game to play.
The graphics are amazing with perfectly matching audio. The developers are regularly updating the game. If you like intense strategic fights or any shooter type of games then you will also like playing this exceptional team-based video game.