Fall Guys – Season 4.5Published May 21, 2021
The mid-season update released just a few days ago includes two new rounds along with the long awaiting introduction of cross-platform play!
Since its release last summer, Fall Guys has taken the worldwide gaming community by storm. Within 24 hours of release, Fall Guys had at least 1.5 million active players, and within a month, that climbed to more than 7 million, while today there are at least 10 million active players. This phenomenal growth has occurred in less than a year, and there doesn’t appear to be any signs of slowing down.
Just a few days ago, a mid-season update was released for Fall Guys. The most major new feature is the ability for cross-platform play, allowing players to play together despite not using the same platform. The new change is extremely welcome and an impressive feat considering the game is not yet even a year old. However, cross-platform party creation is not yet possible, so if you want to play with your IRL friends, you will need to play on the same platform.
Another major new addition to the game are two new rounds that have been added. The Slimescraper is a new racing type round and is similar to the Slime Climb in that players need to race across the course and not just outpace each other, but the steadily climbing slime that results in immediate Game Over if touched. The other new match, Button Bashers, pits players against each other in a 1-on-1 match to press a lit-up button before their opponent. There have also been 55 new additional variations across 12 different existing rounds, including low-gravity variants.
The game developers have also added in a new Player Reporting feature allowing you to report players that you suspect are cheating. In the patch notes, they do make a point to indicate, however, that they will never ban anyone for simply using in-game mechanics like grabbing. (That is to say that even if another player is being annoying and constantly grapples onto you, that is not sufficient cause for being removed from the game as this is not cheating).
A significant number of improvements, fixes, and balancing have been made:
- Reduced the throwing strength of Fall Guys, affecting at least the following objects: basketballs, penguins, eggs, and batteries.
- Fixed a bug that would eliminate the winning squad in Royal Fumble.
- Fixed a bug that caused losing teams to be sent to the next round.
- Squads that end a round with the same score will no longer be eliminated randomly, and instead, will both be qualified for the next round.
- Players will no longer be able to climb above certain objects allowing them to escape the boundary of the gameplay area in a way that is not as the developers intended.
- Fixed a bug that did not allow Fall Guys to walk up ramps while carrying a battery.
- Fixed graphical mistakes for the following costumes: Fishtank, Deep Diver, Little Leaguer, Pitcher Perfect, Devolver, and Wimp
- The solo victory animation will no longer incorrectly display when winning in a Squads Show.
- Fixed a bug where sound effects did not play when players performed the “Hanging Guy” and “Plinth Catch” victory animations.
- Improvements made to latency when grabbing objects or mantling
- A bug that caused batteries to erratically fly out of the hands of Fall Guys when two players that are carrying batteries bump into each other.
- Localization fixes for Portuguese, Korean, and Japanese
When all is said and done, this latest update was pretty exciting but still leaves us wanting more. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for Season 5, and we will be sure to keep you updated when we have more information.
Fall Guys is currently available on Windows and PlayStation 4, and plans are being made for release on the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S.